What Is the ASOA EyeMail List and How Does It Work?
Members who participate in the EyeMail List(s) must familiarize themselves with the disclaimers set forth on the ASOA website. Failure to comply with this warning may result in termination of access to the ASOA EyeMail list(s).
ASOA EyeMail is an electronic discussion group. Please feel free to participate. EyeMail is not constantly moderated - you are responsible for what you post. Subscribers to EyeMail receive new messages via email. If your email software has the capability, you may want to set up a special filter for this list so all EyeMail messages go into special folders (or mailboxes).
If you find the volume of mail overwhelming, you can sign up for the digest version of the list. Digest means 1 message a day that contains all comments posted to the list in the past 24 hours. You lose some of the immediacy of responding but save space in your mailbox.
Directory Use Policy
ASOA’s Membership Directory and general membership information are provided for the sole and exclusive use of members for ASOA-related purposes and are not intended for commercial use. ASOA membership information is proprietary, and the use of member information for the purpose of direct solicitation or mass marketing purposes is strictly prohibited. ASOA prohibits any copying, printing, reproduction or use of Membership Directory information for such purposes. Any violations of this policy may result in an immediate warning from ASOA’s leadership and may further result in suspension of all ASOA membership privileges.
Important Information & Commands
Postings are strongly encouraged, but keep in mind the topic focus of the list and post accordingly. ASOA offers the following lists:
Business – General Practice Management Issues & Topics
ASC – Ambulatory Surgery Centers Issues & Topics
Billing/Coding – Billing/Coding Issues & Topics
Optical – Optical Shop Topics
How Safe is the List?
In using any email services and accessing the Internet, you should have virus scanning software on your PC and ensure that the virus definitions are updated. You should use a “firewall” and “spy” protection software.
Even with protection in place, your computer may still get a virus from someone subscribed to the list. To protect against viruses, follow these common-sense rules:
- Do not open attachments from people you do not know
- Do not open attachments with the following file extensions: .exe, .vsa, .vba
- You can always respond to an individual who sends you an unexpected attachment to verify that it is safe to open.
Note that with the new EyeMail system you do not receive attachments directly but get only links to them.
If You Run Into Difficulties
1. Consult a local network expert or Internet Service Provider (ISP)
2. Contact the owner of the list by sending an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining your problem in detail. A local contact is usually preferable because each site has a unique combination of hardware and software, including enterprise-wide and personal firewalls.
To Unsubscribe (Useful When Going on Vacation)
You do NOT have to unsubscribe when going on vacation. Simply go the EyeMail homepage click on the "My Profile” tab and click on “My Subscriptions” and click the “No Mail” button. When you wish to resume deliver of posts, just click the button to receive mail in real time or digest mode as you prefer.
If you have a document to share with the list participants, you may attach them to a post. However, the system will prompt you to provide information about the attachment such as its name and appropriate “tags” or keywords that help others to search the archives.
EyeMail List Guidelines, Rules, and “Netiquette “
Thanks for being part of our eGroup (EyeMail) community. To ensure the best possible experience for all eGroup members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using these e-mail lists, you agree that you have read and will follow the rules and guidelines set for these peer discussion groups. You also agree to reserve list discussions for topics best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions about ASOA EyeMail should be directed to our Member Services department. Technical questions on association management issues should directed to our helpdesk.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact the member services department. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, ASOA reserves the right to suspend or terminate membership on all lists for members who violate these rules.
Please note that individuals, including but not limited to ASOA officers, directors, or committee members, who post information on this site do so in their personal capacity unless otherwise indicated. The statements of individuals who post information or serve as moderators for specific discussions are conveying their personal opinions and should not be treated or relied upon as establishing the standard of care. Individuals who participate in this site must make their own determinations about a question at hand.
- Don't challenge or attack others. The discussions on the lists are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Don't post commercial messages on any eGroup. Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the list(s) is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything in a eGroup message that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted to the list.
- Remember that ASOA and other email list participants have the right to reproduce postings to this EGroup.
- Send your message only to the most appropriate list(s). Do not spam several lists with the same message.
All messages must add to the body of knowledge. ASOA reserves the right to reject any message for any reason.
- Do not post or forward messages from EyeMail to any other list serve or discussion group.
- Do not post any information that that is false, deceptive, misleading, deceitful, or misinformative or that advertises any illegal service or the sale of any items the sale of which is prohibited or restricted by any applicable law.
- Do not post job postings or solicit employees. The ASOA Career Center can be used for these purposes.
ASOA leadership has set the following parameters for ASOA Consultant/Vendor Member involvement on the list:
1. ASOA Consultant/Vendor Members agree not to disparage other Consultant/Vendor Members on the list.
2. ASOA Consultant/Vendor Members agree not to use the information obtained via the list (i.e.,“Our practice is in need of a new EMR system”) for solicitation of products or services.
3. ASOA Consultant/Vendor Members agree not to use ASOA member name or contract information obtained via the list for blind solicitation of products or services.
Individuals who violate one or more of these parameters will be suspended from the list for the first infraction and removed permanently after the second.
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, and location.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your posting in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link within the email itself.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the list, through the eGroup. Instead, use the Web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings. However, you MUST login to on the ASOA homepage and click on "My Account" in the top right corner to change your email address there.
The Legal Stuff
These eGroups are provided as a service of ASOA which is not responsible for the opinions and information posted, or products or services offered for sale, on this site by others. ASOA disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted, or products or services offered for sale, on this site, whether posted by ASOA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness.
Your interactions with organizations and/or individuals found on or through this site, including payment and delivery of goods or services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings, are solely between you and such organizations and/or individuals. You should make whatever investigation you feel necessary or appropriate before proceeding with any online or offline transaction with any of these third parties.
You agree that ASOA shall not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage of any sort incurred as the result of any such dealings. If there is a dispute between participants on this site, or between users and any third party, you understand and agree that ASOA is under no obligation to become involved. In the event that you have a dispute with one or more other users, you hereby release ASOA, its officers, employees, agents and successors in rights from claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind or nature, known or unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, arising out of or in any way related to such disputes and / or our service. If you are a California resident, you waive California Civil Code Section 1542, which says: "A general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which, if known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor."
In no event shall ASOA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted, or products or services offered for sale, on this site. For these purposes, ASOA includes the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery and its officers, directors, employees, agents, and affiliates.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants ASOA and users of this list the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
ASOA does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to ASOA’s attention, ASOA may take all appropriate action.
ASOA reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
The ASOA List is intended for BUSINESS discussion only. Comments concerning topics other than business, while interesting, belong somewhere else.
List subscribers may not post announcements about events, organizations, vendors, and/or services that compete with ASOA or ASCRS. Please consult with the ASOA Membership Manager about requests to post information that might fall into one of these categories.
- Refrain from sending jokes, advertisements, well wishes, etc. to the group.
- Refrain from replies of agreement. Should you choose to agree with someone without further comment, please reply directly to the sender. There are many subscribers on these lists, so we ask your consideration in limiting unnecessary chatter/postings on the list.
- Send individual "thank yous" privately. Other examples of messages that should be sent privately are requests for copies of offered materials, and "me too" messages (as in, "send me a copy of that, too"), survey responses, and very specific replies to questions that are not likely to be of general interest.
Penalties and Termination
If, in the sole opinion of the ASOA Board of Directors (Board) or its designee(s), a member has failed to abide by these guidelines, that event may result in restriction or removal of a participant's List privileges, and if repeated, possible loss of membership in the ASOA organization. In the event that the List guidelines are violated, the member who violates these simple and reasonable rules will be barred from using the List for a period of no less than 90 days for a first violation, but this does not preclude termination of the ASOA member for any serious first time guideline infractions. Upon return of List privileges, any additional violation of the guidelines may result in a permanent loss of List privileges and possible termination of ASOA membership.
Any member who is terminated from ASOA membership because of a List guideline infraction(s) may appeal this determination in writing within 30 days of member notification of ASOA Termination to the Board. The Board will respond in writing to the Terminated member within 30 days as to its final decision.